Landscape thoughts of 101 & design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landscape thoughts of 101 & design

I am learning that asking questions of the customer is helping me to think and learn.
    I am going to list some of my thoughts here so I did not want to tie another persons post with too much of my own rambling.

When looking at a house or property for a potential job;

First analyze the site, observe the natural elements, such as existing trees, soil type, slope of lot, these things affect the ease of construction and landscape possibilites. Make a determination whether existing site conditions will be a deterrent to your design plan. I use graph paper, and measure the property, and let one inch, represent 5, 10 or 20 feet. Develop a plan after asking the homeowner a series of questions.

Are you going to have to change the elevation of the property at any area. Excessive grading, or retaining walls should be avoided "if" the homeowner wants to keep the natural character of the landscape. However, in some cases retaining walls, or banks must be included to facilitate construction to control water drainage.

The character of the land or lot size, its hills, slope and trees, should determine the basic landscape pattern.

Every family has their own requirements and desire with regard to a landscape plan. A family with small children will need open lawn areas for play, while a person that also likes to do hobby gardening will require space for growing flowers and vegetables. Is anyone allergic to any plants?

Remember your design should satisfy the requirements of the customer using the space.

It is important to talk to the homeowner about the following:

Is the homeowner planning any additions to the house in the future.

Will there be installation of an underground irrigation system, or is there currently a system in place, and does the homeowner have a diagram of the location of existing underground pipes or lines.

Does the homeowner want any paving or stone paths placed in heavily traveled areas. Intallation cost might be highter, but then maintenance cost might be lower, depending on the design.

What are the locations of power lines, and telephone poles on the property.

Are you going to be doing all the maintenance after the job, if so you might consider flower beds for easy access and easier weed control.

Be selective in the choice of plant material; some plants require
    less pruning.

Some homeowners want to see immediate results, so you may select
    faster growing plants.

If you use dwarf or slow growing plants, sometimes they are often
    planted too close together. These plants are easier to maintain than fast growing plants and are desirable as base material. Some plants thrive in sun and other require shade, so keep this in mind when developing your plan. You do not want to plant something that the homeowner will not be happy with later.

Use plants that adapt well for your location and climate. You cannot expect a plant to grow in a location or exposure to which it is not adapted. A design suffers when some of the plants die and have to be replaced.

When choosing plants, know how high and wide they will grow at maturity. Depending on the type of plant, you do not want to plant some too close to the house, or plant them too close together.

Consider the size of the lot, how close are other houses to the homeowers residence or property line. Does the homeowner want more open space or lawn space, because of a large yard. Or is the yard smaller, and does the homeowner want more privacy. Use plants as elements of design not space fillers.

A recent trend is Habitat Landscaping, the creation of landscapes that attract wildlife. The homeowner may want this. Does the homeowner live in an area where there is undeveloped land surrounding his/her property, and there may be wild animals in the area. The homeowner may not want deer and other animals on his/her property, so learn what plants are more tolerant to certain animals than others.

Maybe the homeowner might want the front yard landscaped first, and then have the back yard done at a later date. It could be for financial reasons or just that is what the homeowner wants.

Ask questions that require the homeowner to think, that way he/she will in most cases have confidence in you as you have given him or her some thoughtful suggestions.

There are a whole lot of other ideas and thoughts to consider, these are just a few, but thought they might help.

Thin film solar panels are a promising advancement in renewable energy technology, offering numerous advantages over traditional silicon-based panels. These panels consist of ultra-thin layers of photovoltaic materials deposited onto a substrate, allowing for flexibility, lightweight design, and easier integration into various surfaces. With their efficiency steadily improving, thin film solar panels are becoming increasingly competitive in the market, especially in applications where space and weight are critical factors. Additionally, their manufacturing process requires less material and energy, reducing overall costs and environmental impact. As the demand for sustainable energy solutions grows, thin film solar panels continue to play a vital role in shaping the future of solar power.

Comment

Working...
    X