probably a stupid question so have at it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• probably a stupid question so have at it

Man, this might be one dumb a$$ question but Lowes where I bought the trailer could not answer it and they know their stuff! lol Ok here it goes, just one or two insulting comments will do but I gotta ask. I ordered a complete towing package and had it installed so I could go purchase a trailer to begin my new part time job and after spending about 2 hours getting the (8) 2x7x8 treated wood to put in the bottom of the new 5x8 metal mesh trailer and going through the purchasing line, I went out to have the Manager install the trailer to my Hitch and give me the title and he said "what size ball you got there" and I said a standard 2 inch, well he said this trailer needs a 1 3/4 ball. Well while the Manager of the store and his assistant waited out in the parking lot I ran back to the store and got a smaller ball, the only problem is the ball screw is smaller and didn't fit snug but we were able to tighten it up enough for me to get it home. I asked him do they make an adapter for this type of situation and he said "I dunno" Well after spending the afternoon there I loaded up the wood to go in the bottom of trailer and went home. Is there a safety risk if I use large washers on both sides and tighten it up REALLY tight? Or is there an adapter to get a ball hole to fit snug with this trailer? As I stated, probably a dumb a$$ question, so please be helpful for someone that can't figure this out.

Also 1 more question, I noticed that the 5x10 trailers had the treated wood already in them and I looked under the trailer to find out how they secured each board, and it appears that they used a nail of some kind that shot right through the wood and the metal frame, where do you find that kind of nail gun? I gotta secure them somehow, they fit good just need to be secured down.
    Thanks,
    gene97

Comment

You just bought the wrong shank size. Measure the hole diameter on your hitch and then buy the size needed. You might find shims to make your existing ball snug, as I have purchased such a thing before. Go somewhere else besides a home improvement store - try a auto parts store.
      2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
      Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Comment

Thanks MasterMower, I will go tomorrow and return the one to Lowes!
        appreciate the help
        gene97

Comment

can i ask how much you paid for this trailer?

cjm

Comment

Nail through metal? Maybe a rivet but proably not. Use flush style bolts with nuts through the frame of the trailer.

Comment

If I were you I'd bolt the wood to the trailer. You could possibly use self-tapping screws, but bolts would be better.

Find a Fastenal near where you live. www.fastenal.com They'll have everything you need including the cobalt bit to drill the holes.

Comment

cjm, I paid around $700 for it with the treated wood and the extended ramp(had a discount for using charge card and I bought 2x7x12 warped and got half off for that and only needed 8 foot so I had them cut off the warped part).
                Thanks for the site RRS, just went there and will probably find what I need to fasten down the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by Gene97
                  Man, this might be one dumb a$$ question but Lowes where I bought the trailer could not answer it and they know their stuff! lol Ok here it goes, just one or two insulting comments will do but I gotta ask. I ordered a complete towing package and had it installed so I could go purchase a trailer to begin my new part time job and after spending about 2 hours getting the (8) 2x7x8 treated wood to put in the bottom of the new 5x8 metal mesh trailer and going through the purchasing line, I went out to have the Manager install the trailer to my Hitch and give me the title and he said "what size ball you got there" and I said a standard 2 inch, well he said this trailer needs a 1 3/4 ball. Well while the Manager of the store and his assistant waited out in the parking lot I ran back to the store and got a smaller ball, the only problem is the ball screw is smaller and didn't fit snug but we were able to tighten it up enough for me to get it home. I asked him do they make an adapter for this type of situation and he said "I dunno" Well after spending the afternoon there I loaded up the wood to go in the bottom of trailer and went home. Is there a safety risk if I use large washers on both sides and tighten it up REALLY tight? Or is there an adapter to get a ball hole to fit snug with this trailer? As I stated, probably a dumb a$$ question, so please be helpful for someone that can't figure this out.

To be honest I have never heard of 1 3/4 ball, Maybe 1 7/8 as to your question about the hole. As long as you have lock washer and its tight, you will be fine. No worry's.

Comment

Gene97, The answers you got here seam good to me, But I have a question for you "why did you choose to add all that extra weight in lumber to your trailer" with the gas prices going up I would think you may want to keep your tow load as low as possible to save alittle on fuel? Just a thought Because I just bought a new trailer myself with the same type of floor. I opted for a free piece of aluminum plate.(got lucky)
                    even if you would only save a 1 gallon of gas a week x 30 wks. x cheep $2.55 gas =$76.50 season not to mention weight causes wear (on your truck)hence repair. sorry to rammble on, just trying to help, little costs add up.

MCutter725

Comment

mcutter725, to be honest I didn't even think about aluminum, I just looked at the 5x10 with the treated wood sitting beside the 5x8 that I was purchasing and said "I need a sturdier floor than just the metal mesh" like that one and proceeded to measure the wood in the 5x10 and off I went into the store to have it cut. I did bring up the issue of weight to the lumber people and asked is there anything lighter that will support the flooring better and aluminum was not even mentioned. Probably a dumb move with the gas as it is but as I said, I didn't even think of aluminum and wish I had damn newbie here.

Comment

#12 self tapping screws can be had at a big box store....

The shank needs to fit the hole properly.
                        GEEVEE®, Pat.Pend. TM, UL

If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough

Comment

Read your receiver info and find out what size the shank hole is and get the right one. I have seen them with sleeve type adapters that go over the shank, but I don't think I've seen them separate... They usually come with the ball.

You can use flush mount bolts with nuts and lock washers on the bottom. Make sure to get stainless or something coated that will not rust or they will... Quickly. You'll need someone on top with a phillips head screwdriver to keep them from turning as you tighten from underneath. Or just use self tapping screws with a pilot hole.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the trailer weight/gas so much as if you had bought a trailer from a trailer dealer it would probably have a wood deck to start with so I wouldn't worry about it. The only thing that would concern me is to see what type of axle is on the trailer, and figure the weight of the wood whenever you are considering weight so you don't overload the trailer. Should be a max weight (GVWR) rating sticker somewhere on it.
                          Jeff C.

Comment

Ya Gene97, It's not a big deal using wood for your decking,if you have it use it. I was just saying it might be something to think about the next time you get a trailer. The costs are not going to be noticed at all.

I know exactly the trailer you got, nice one to get you going.

Comment

Thanks Mcutter, yea I guess I will learn as I go, it's all part of starting something new and I'm sure everyone has been down that road. The Forum really has helped me though, always people willing to give advice before I make any HUGE mistakes. So far I have just made little one's that can be handled.
                              gene97

Comment

Working...
                              X