Need reviews on Toro Z-Master

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need reviews on Toro Z-Master

It's no secert, I'm not a fan of Toro mowers. All I've used are the classic Toro WBs w/ floating decks and have found them to be poorly designed.

So anyhow, I need to purchase a new mower at some point this summer. I have an oppurtunity to mow a Toro Zmaster w/ 300 hours from a local landscaper who has since jumped the mowing bandwagon. I don't know the specifics, but he said he bought it for about $6000 last year and would sell it for $4200. Take from that what you will. Knowing him, it can't be anything fancy, just basic.

I need to know if Toro Z-riders are worth a couple craps to consider? If it sports a shi++y SFS deck I won't buy it. I don't know the model year...I'd hope its a 05 w/ a turbo force deck...

Anyways, any raves or rants? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +
    Licensed Fert & Squirt Applicator = Jack of all trades, master of none.

Sorry for my grammer errors.....suppose to say I have an oppurtunity to buy, not mow.
    2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 and future 2015 LSF RECEPTED AWARD recipient!

Hortikulture Kolledge Grad + Licensed Master Irrigator + Certified Backflow Technician +

Comment

I have 62" decks, 52" decks, and had the 44" decks as well.

The 52" we have is very powerful and gives a good cut. The 62" models may be the favorites because they are the larger series frames and are more comfortable.......to most employees anyway.

Having said that, I get no complaints on the smaller series that the 44" and 52" are on. They all seem to go right through anything thrown at them.

As for problems? Ours don't get huge amounts of hours, but they never give us any down time. I can't complain at all.
      a.k.a.---> Erich

www.avalawnlandscaping.com

Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
      Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

I've the Toro 44 Z. It's got about 1,000 hours on it. It's been OK from a dependability point of view. I wish I had more power than the 17 HP Kawi provides as it sometimes bogs in heavy wet turf. You didn't say what deck size you are looking at but if I had to do it over again, I'd go with the 48" for my needs with a larger motor. I do have a very responsive dealer so I'm happy overall.
        PNA
        1996 Ranger 3.0 pullin' 5'X11' Tandem Open Trailer
        Toro 44" ZTR Kawai 17 HP & Quick 36 SD Kawai 16 HP
        Stihl FS-80 Trimmers & Stihl FC-75 Edger
        Stihl Hand & Back Pack Blowers (BG-85 & BR 550)
        Stihl Chain & Pole Saws (MS250 & T-101)

Comment

My uncle has a pretty large outfit and bought one last year. He really likes alot and it gives a great cut. I like the stand on the front of it also

Comment

Originally posted by Scaper-S2k
            I have 62" decks, 52" decks, and had the 44" decks as well.

The 52" we have is very powerful and gives a good cut. The 62" models may be the favorites because they are the larger series frames and are more comfortable.......to most employees anyway.

Having said that, I get no complaints on the smaller series that the 44" and 52" are on. They all seem to go right through anything thrown at them.

As for problems? Ours don't get huge amounts of hours, but they never give us any down time. I can't complain at all.
            Scaper - does your 52" sport the Turbo Force deck and how much HP?

Comment

19hp, not a Turbo Force. But I can tell you, it is plenty powerful enough. I'm not kidding when I say that it never seems to bog down, through anything. It seems stronger than my 62" 25hp.
              a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Is it the standard economy deck or the older SFS deck?? Sorry to ask so many ?s. Just want to know the performance before I look into this particular one any further.

Comment

I assume it's the SFS deck with a baffle installed. I think it is 3 years old? Not sure. I do believe it gives a better cut than my 44" decks.
                  a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

My 44" Z has the SFS deck and w/ the motor it has, 17HP Kawi, does NOT have enough power when the turf is really thick or real wet.
                    PNA
                    1996 Ranger 3.0 pullin' 5'X11' Tandem Open Trailer
                    Toro 44" ZTR Kawai 17 HP & Quick 36 SD Kawai 16 HP
                    Stihl FS-80 Trimmers & Stihl FC-75 Edger
                    Stihl Hand & Back Pack Blowers (BG-85 & BR 550)
                    Stihl Chain & Pole Saws (MS250 & T-101)

Comment

Our 44" had the same motor and we use to put that thing through some pretty serious stuff. We have a real old 36" and that 44" ZTR that would be our only mowers we sent into areas where a new client needed their lawn cut when it was over 2' tall. That 44" 17hp would go through anything, wet, dry, or even waist high.

You might want to make sure the RPM's are where they should be? Not sure, but ours got through anything we threw at it.

I sold it about a month ago. I guess we'll now have to use our oldest 44" walkbehind for those types of lawns. They are rare lawns of course.
                      a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

There are multiple reasons I dislike the SFS decks, hence why I will not buy another Toro sporting a SFS deck.

Reason 1: Garbage
                        Reason 2: Garbage
                        Reason 3: Garbage quality cut (depending on grass type)
                        Reason 4: Garbage
                        Reason 5: Garbage construction
                        Reason 6: Garbage
                        Reason 7: Garbage engineering
                        Reason 8: Undesirable blade tip speeds (on the older models)

Comment

If you didn't like yours, it might have been the deck alignment was off. That will throw off the cut.

Reason #1 why I like them: They've made millions of $$$$ for us.
                          a.k.a.---> Erich

Comment

Slow day today. Just had 7 lawns to mow so I swung by this failed mowers shop to have a look at this Toro.

Bad news....it sports an inferior 52" SFS deck. It also sports a 19HP Kawasaki engine. The shape was slightly more battered than you'd expect for a unit with 300 hours....but mostly this was limited to cosmetic damage.

I'm gonna have to pull out the Ol' Toro sales catalog and look at the specs for this mower. It just might work for the residentials I do?

Comment

Blade tip speed specs claim the Golden 18,000+ ft/min. The POS I have now is spec'ed at 15,500 ft/min. Both are 52" SFS decks.

This Z-master sports the compact frame. It's no big boy, but it does seem like it'd service residential lawns with ease (and this would be its primary purpose).

I doubt I'll increase my efficiency much as I currently use a hydro walk vs the ride-on ztr (both are the same sized deck). Either I'm gonna buy a new Turf Tracer HP 48" or 52" deck, or I'll buy this Toro and save about 2k. 2k would buy some nice additional eqt. Namely a verticutter.

Guess I have a decison to make.

Comment

Working...
                              X